Many people think of physical therapy only for after an injury or surgery. But did you know prehabilitation (pre-hab), or physical therapy before a planned surgery, will help you recover faster and in some cases, delay or avoid surgery altogether?
Both orthopedic surgeries (e.g., foot, knee, spine) and other surgical procedures can benefit from pre and post-surgical rehab. A physical therapist can create personalized plans for individuals preparing for surgery, yielding significant advantage.
Benefits of Pre-hab
- Faster Recovery– Learning the exercises you’ll need to do before surgery trains your muscles in advance. This will make post-surgical rehab easier and more effective. Research shows that even a few sessions of physical therapy prior to surgery can reduce the amount of post operative care for some patients.
- Fewer Complications– The weaker and more frail an individual is, the more likely it is that the person will experience complications such as infection after a surgical procedure. Prehab can increase strength and immunity prior to surgery.
- Less Anxiety– Patients that have undergone some sort of prehab are often less prone to anxiety or stress prior to the surgery. Starting a process of physical activity that improves strength, endurance, and flexibility can improve overall confidence that the procedure will be successful. Benefits of Post-Surgical Rehab It’s important to start a post-surgical rehabilitation plan as soon as your doctor states that you’re ready. The following are a few of the benefits of post-surgical rehab.
- Improve Circulation– Improved circulation not only facilitates faster healing but reduces the chance of a blood clot forming. The exercises and movements prescribed by your physical therapist can promote increased blood circulation.
- Reduce Pain and Swelling– The right type of post-surgical treatment can help reduce the amount of pain and swelling you experience after your surgery. Your physical therapy many decide to use several interventions to help reduce your post- surgical pain.
- Regain Lost Strength– The more quickly you regain strength and stamina, the more quickly you’ll get back to your daily routine. A physical therapy program can be designed to target the specific areas in your body that need to be strengthened.
The experienced Doctors of Physical Therapy at Pain & Movement Solutions specialize in creating personalized care plans for those in either the pre-hab or post-surgical phase. If you or someone you know is considering surgery, call Pain & Movement Solutions to set up a consultation to see if physical therapy is the right option for you.
About Pain & Movement Solutions Pain & Movement Solutions is a therapist-owned, outpatient physical therapy practice with clinics in Belle Fourche, Sturgis, and Rapid City. Their team is dedicated to being the best option for all your joint/muscle pains and movement problems. No referral is needed. Find more information about how Pain & Movement Solutions can find your solution and get you back to What Moves You! Find Your Solution Today!